GUEST BLOG BY CARLA WHYTE OF EMBRACING YOUR SPACE. THIS IS PART OF A SERIES OF GUEST BLOGS FROM SOME OF VALET'S PROFESSIONAL PARTNERS.
Are you having trouble making space for all of your holiday food in your pantry? Are you storing bags on top of cans and boxes? Do you even know what's in there? Sounds like it's time to take a closer look!
Pantries, no matter how big or small, can be confusing. They can cost you time (trying to find that elusive bag of brown sugar), and money (“Huh! I didn't know I already had six boxes of Mac and Cheese!”), if not managed correctly. Common questions include: “What should I store where?”, “Do I need special containers, and if so, glass or plastic?”, “I need access to everything, and right now, I can't see anything!”
Here are three steps to an awesome, organized pantry!
- Empty every shelf---Really! This way, you can start fresh by wiping off any crumbs or oil from the shelves AND the boxes and bottles. You don't want to attract any flying critters!
- Next, because everything is out where you can see it, you can sort by type: cans with cans, pasta with pasta, and snacks with snacks. At the same time, check the expiration dates. Toss anything that has expired and donate what you don't need.
- This step should be relatively easy since you now have less to put away! Now is the time to decide what containers you may need. Some items I recommend are:
- Clear, plastic, square or rectangular-shaped containers with airtight lids for baking supplies and cereals,
- Bleacher-type risers, for cans, so you can see them all at once,
- Rectangular bins for bags of rice and pasta, or chips and snacks. These keep them contained and will slide out easily.
- Lazy Susan for oils and vinegars.
Once you get everything organized, you may realize that your current pantry is just not meeting your needs and that you need a more effective use of your space. This is where Valet Custom Cabinets & Closets can help you transform your pantry into an organized area that works for you. Typically, pantries are just shelves, but Valet will take your pantry beyond basic to highly customized.
All of Valet’s shelves are fully adjustable, so it is easy to make changes to the height of the shelves if you find yourself with something extra tall. If you need a place for storing your cookie sheets and cutting boards for easy access, Valet has a solution for that.
If your pantry is narrow and deep, you can still utilize all of your space with roll-out drawers.
With solutions for placemats, wine storage, cleaning supplies and more, you are sure to get the perfect pantry. Check out Valet’s pantry product options for even more ideas!
Having a functional, organized pantry will help make your holiday cooking and baking more fun! No more wondering what’s in there, or worrying that the food is stale or expired, or buying multiples of things you already have. You’ll be able to open the door, grab what you need, and start cooking!
Valet Custom Cabinets & Closets designs, manufactures and installs custom organizational solutions that enhance the functionality of your living space while complementing the décor of your home.
Our talented design team creates unique solutions tailored to your specific needs, style and budget. We are independently owned and a direct manufacturer.
Our areas of specialty include Home Offices, Wall Beds, Media Centers, Closets, Pantries, Garage Cabinetry, and much more.
Your Space - Exceptionally Designed - Uniquely Styled - Expertly Crafted
Carla Whyte, Embracing Your Space